Physical Ability Test
- 24’ Ladder Raise w/ Halyard: During this task, the candidate will stand at the base of a ladder mounted to a brick structure. Time will start at first pull of the halyard. Extend the fly section in a hand over hand fashion until it hits the stop. This concludes this task. Note a penalty will be assessed if the halyard slips through hands 3 rungs or more.
- Advancing High Rise Pack: Candidate will be required to retrieve hose pack from marked box on the ground, place hose pack on shoulder, and ascend up the staircase to the 4th floor. Place, do not drop, in the designated box marked on the floor. A penalty will be assessed if hose is dropped at any point other than the designated spot.
- Hose Hoist: Candidate will be required to use the rope attached to a section of 2.5” hose and hoist it up to the 4th floor. Once hose is retrieved, lay it on the floor in designated spot. (Note the rail cannot be used as a fulcrum for the rope.) Each individual step must be touched when descending down the staircase or a penalty will be assessed.
Hose Drag:The candidate prepares by placing a nozzle attached to 200 feet of hose line over the shoulder or across the chest. The participant can run or walk while dragging the hose 75 feet to a drum, making approx. 45 degree turn, and continuing for 25 more feet. The candidate must then stop in a marked box and drop to at least 1 knee, then pull the hose until the 50-foot mark crosses into the marked box. Task must be completed before advancing to the next task.
Attic Crawl:Task consists of ringing the bell located at the peak of the opposite end of the attic and then returning to the start point. Candidate may use either hand or foot to ring the bell. A penalty will be assessed if any part of the body drops below the 4” rafters.
- Keiser Sled: Requires the use of a 9lb dead blow sledge hammer to strike the sled until it has moved 5’. A penalty will be assessed for striking anything other than the sled.
- Victim Rescue Drag: The candidate must drag a 165-pound mannequin 70 feet under the arms or with DRD harness to a designated spot. Task must be completed before advancing to the next task.
Fan Carry:The fan must be carried 50 feet and place in designated box. A penalty will be assessed if fan is dropped at any time.
- Retrieve High Rise Pack: Retrieve high rise pack from designated spot on 4th floor, place on shoulder, and return to its original marked spot on the ground. Each step must be touched when descending down the staircase or a penalty will be assessed.
- Lowering Fly Section w/ Halyard: During this task, the candidate will stand at the base of a ladder mounted to a brick structure. Lower the fly section hand over hand in a controlled fashion to the starting point. This concludes this task and your time will be stopped. Note a penalty will be assessed if the halyard slips through hands 3 rungs or more.
**Penalties are 5 seconds on each missed strike on the Keiser Sled. All other penalties are 3 seconds.
Candidate is required to wear a 50-pound weighted vest, leather gloves, and a fire helmet throughout entire course. All equipment will be provided. Any personal equipment must be approved by testing coordinator before use.
Dress Requirements: Shirt (with or without sleeves), long pants, boots or athletic shoes. No shorts or open toed shoes will be allowed!