In order to comply with the independent ventilation requirements of the City of Longview Smoking Ordinance the HVAC system must:
A mechanical permit is required when any HVAC system is installed or modified.
Design Requirements For Designated Smoking Areas
- Designed by a professional engineer
- Serve only the smoking area of an establishment
- Have a negative pressure within the smoking area that prevents smoke from escaping
- Exchange the air within the smoking area every 15 minutes, and
- Exhaust the exchanged air to the exterior of the establishment.
A building permit will be required for any construction.
Design Requirements For Establishment That Excludes Minors
- Area must be separated from any nonsmoking area of that establishment by impermeable walls and ceilings,
- Area must be independently ventilated,
- All entrances and exits from the smoking area must be equipped with impermeable doors that are not allowed to remain open and are outfitted with automatic closing devices.
- Designated smoking area must not exceed 50% of the establishment’s total square footage,
- No one under the age of 18 is allowed to enter or remain in the area including guests, patrons, family members, or employees, and
- Proper signs must be posted at the entrance to the designated smoking area.
- The establishment must be located in a separate building from any public place, or the establishment must be independently ventilated and completely separated from any other public place by impermeable walls and ceilings
- No one under the age of 18 may be allowed to enter or remain in the establishment
- including guests, patrons, family members or employees,
- The establishment must prominently displays signs in both English and Spanish
- stating that persons under the age of 18 are prohibited from entering the establishment.
Only restaurants, bars, bowling establishments, or bingo establishment have the options listed above that would allow smoking.