Tips for Calling 9-1-1 From a Wireless Phone
Here is a helpful list of tips for calling 9-1-1 from a wireless phone:
- If driving a car, pull over. Do not put yourself or others at risk to make a call.
- Know your location. Give the address, or use landmarks, crossroads, or a mile marker to tell your location.
- Know your phone number. Memorize your cellular phone number. Write it down in an easy to find location before you need to call 9-1-1.
- Briefly state your emergency. Seconds count! You may need to be transferred to the appropriate responding agency.
- Don't hang up. Be ready to give details, confirm information and follow instructions that could save a life.
- Stop accidental calls. More than half of wireless 9-1-1 calls are accidental. Always keep your keypad locked!