Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing (HUD-VASH)

What is the HUD-VASH Program?

The HUD-Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing (HUD-VASH) program combines Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) rental assistance for homeless Veterans with case management and clinical services provided by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).

Through public housing authorities, HUD provides rental assistance vouchers for privately owned housing to Veterans who are eligible for VA health care services and are experiencing homelessness. VA case managers may connect these Veterans with support services such as health care, mental health treatment and substance use counseling to help them in their recovery process and with their ability to maintain housing in the community. Among VA homeless continuum of care programs, HUD-VASH enrolls the largest number and largest percentage of Veterans who have experienced long-term or repeated homelessness.
Locally, the Longview Housing Authority collaborates with the Overton Brooks VA Medical Center in Shreveport, LA and the East Texas Veterans Resource Center. The Longview Housing Authority received an award for 10 HUD-VASH vouchers to serve homeless veterans.

Who is eligible?

The household must be homeless and include at least one US Military Veteran. Single persons, couples, and families with children are all eligible to apply.

Other eligibility criteria:


Total household income must not be more than 50% of the Area Median Income (also called "Very Low Income"). Currently this limit is $19,750 for a 1-person household, $28,200 for a 4-person household. A complete listing of the Very Low Income limits can be found under the heading "HUD Program Income Limits" on HUD's website.


The household must lack a fixed, regular, night time residence, or be residing in emergency shelter, or be residing in a place not meant for habitation (such as a car, tent, abandoned building, or substandard housing that does not provide adequate shelter). Homelessness must be verified by a third party, such as a social service agency, Veterans Services Officer, or other knowledgeable professional.

Engagement with Services:

The Veteran must be willing to engage in services from the Department of Veterans Affairs through the VA Hospital in Shreveport, LA.

Criminal background check:

Sex offenders subject to lifetime registration are not eligible for this program.

To apply for the HUD-VASH program:

Contact the East Texas Veterans Resource Center by phone at 903-291-1155 or 903-556-0600 or visit their office at 501 Pine Tree Road. Please bring a copy of your DD 214 (preferable) or other ID. You may contact LHA with VASH inquiries by calling (903) 237-1239. The VA determines initial eligibility for the VASH program. If it appears you are eligible, you will be referred to the East Texas Veterans Resource Center for further screening.