This building is located in Teague Park and is addressed as 1201 Park Lane. This building was built in phases. The first phase of the building was constructed as a log cabin for the Boy Scouts in 1941. In 1949, an addition of the meeting hall also constructed out of logs. The last portion of the building was constructed out of metal for storage of equipment in 1965.
The Boy Scouts of America Troop 201 was created in 1917 and is one of the oldest Boy Scout Troop’s in Texas. There were many influential members of this troop including the current Governor, Greg Abbott. The Troop originally met at Scoutmaster J. Pope Koon’s residence which was a rooming house on First Street. In 1931, First United Methodist Church sponsored the Troop and they began meeting at the church in Baraca Hall.
In 1941, Scoutmaster Marcus Shuttlesworth approached the Lion’s Club to build a Scout hut. The Lion’s Club agreed and received permission from the City of Longview to build the hut in Teague Park. Longview Creosoting Company along with Mr. Grady Garland agreed to provide uncreosoted logs to build the cabin. The log cabin had a shingle roof and a stone fireplace. Many items were donated for the construction on the cabin. The cabin was mainly being utilized as a shelter during campouts. In 1947, a plan was made to construct an addition to the cabin due to Baraca Hall being demolished.
In 1950, the Troop held a dedication ceremony for the new addition at the cabin. Many improvements have been made to this building including the donation of raw lumber. This lumber was creosoted by Garland Creosoting and was installed to the outside of the cabin. A metal building addition was added in 1965 to the rear of the building for storage of equipment.