Outdoor Events

Texas Governor Greg Abbott’s Executive Order GA-32 prohibited most outdoor events of more than 10 people, unless the event is an excepted special category or receives explicit permission from the Mayor. 

The City of Longview and Mayor Andy Mack will consider requests for outdoor events on a case-by-case basis. When someone in the community contacts the City to request Mayoral approval to host an event, staff may offer suggestions on how the event might be accomplished while staying in compliance with the Governor's order. To be considered for approval, event organizers must commit to follow applicable guidelines as can be found at Open.Texas.gov.

To request permission from the Mayor for your outdoor event, please complete the COVID-19 Event Form in addition to any of the regular permits and reservations that may be necessary for your event.

Please note:  city facilities and parks are currently not available for rental or event usage except for governmental purposes through the end of 2020.  Beginning in 2021, rental and event usage will be considered for city facilities, with varying restrictions and availability according to location and event type.

Summary of Executive Order GA-32’s impact on events in Longview: 

  • The Governor's order prohibits most outdoor events over 10 people unless Mayoral approval is provided. The prohibition includes events held on private property, with some exceptions.  If the event is outside the city limits, please contact the county judge’s office for approval request.
  • EXCEPTION: There is no limitation on events that are essential services, religious services, local government operations, child-care services, youth camps, recreational sports programs for youths and adults, or drive-in events.  Mayoral permission is not required. However, event organizers should still follow the applicable guidelines outlined at open.texas.gov
  • EXCEPTION: There is a 50% occupancy limit for professional and collegiate sports, pools, water parks, museums, libraries, zoos, aquariums, natural caverns, rodeos, equestrian events, and amusement parks. Mayoral permission is not required. However, event organizers should still follow the applicable guidelines outlined at open.texas.gov.
  • EXCEPTION: Indoor events may operate at 75% capacity, except when the area is under high hospitalization rate restrictions which reduce capacity to 50%. Mayoral permission is not required. However, event organizers should still follow the applicable guidelines outlined at open.texas.gov.
  • Please see full details and exceptions in Executive Order GA-32. Please also read all recommended guidelines for businesses and events at open.Texas.gov.

What COVID-19 related issues will be considered for events? 

Per the Governor Abbott’s direction, event requests will be considered based on several factors, including but not limited to: 

  • The overall number of projected attendees
  • The likelihood of individuals over the age of 65 attending
  • The density of the forum and the ability to ensure social distancing of 6 feet between individuals. 
  • The level of COVID-19 transmission in the county. 
  • The ability of the event organizers to follow all applicable health protocols during execution of the event. 

Do I have to receive permission to host my event? 

If your event is less than 10 people, you do not have to request special permission from the Mayor. However, you may still be required to receive other permits listed below if it will impact the use of the street or right-of-way, includes food service, or involves other substantial changes to normal business operations. 

What permits do I need to host an event in Longview? 

In addition to the COVID-19 Event Form, event organizers will need to request permission and/or make reservations according to the type of event. 

General Outdoor Event (concert, carnival, block party, etc): An Outdoor Event Permit, administered through Planning and Zoning within Development Services, is necessary for any outdoor event that goes beyond the property’s normal business operations based on factors such as crowd size, parking, vendors, large tents, street closures, and use of right-of-way. Please note that events requiring street closures are not currently being granted.

Parade Permit: Parade Permit form through the Longview Police Department required for parades as well as 5K, Fun Runs, or other events that require street routed street closures. Please note that parade permits are currently not being granted. 

Parks and Pavilions Reservations: If you plan to host your event within a city park or at a city pavilion, you must reserve the facility directly through the Parks and Recreation Department. Please note that parks and pavilion reservations are currently not being granted.

Food Permit: If you are serving food to the public, except for a private-only event, you will also need a food service permit from Environmental Health. 

Longview Convention Complex: If you plan to host your event at the Longview Convention Complex, you must reserve the facility directly with complex staff.