City of Longview News

Posted on: April 5, 2018

Residents encouraged to serve on city boards

Serve on a board or commission

(Longview, TX) Longview City Council will soon begin their annual process of appointing new members to boards and committee, and residents are encouraged to submit their applications to be considered for the volunteer posts. Committee members advise the City Council on issues ranging from parks to community development. Residents are encouraged to apply by April 30 online at The annual appointments will be made in June.

Council appointed committees include the Animal Shelter Advisory Committee, Comprehensive Plan Advisory Committee, Construction Advisory and Appeals Board, Cultural Activities Advisory Commission, Emergency Medical Service Advisory Board, Housing and Community Development Advisory Commission, Longview Historic Preservation Commission, Parks and Recreation Advisory Board, Partners in Prevention Steering Committee, Planning and Zoning Commission, Public Transportation Advisory Board, Tax Increment Reinvestment Zone Board, and the Zoning Board of Adjustment.

According to Mayor Andy Mack, “People ask me all the time how they can get involved. The answer is very simple: volunteer for something you are passionate about. One way you can do that is by volunteering on a board or committee. We’ll take your advice and expertise and apply it to things that we need to know as City Council and city staff to help set direction and policy for the community. So, I encourage individual to apply and help make a difference.”

It should be noted that not all who apply will be appointed. Some restrictions apply. Residents are encouraged to apply online at Applications are also available at City Hall, 300 W. Cotton St. For more information, please contact the City Manager’s Office at 903-237-1021.

Additional Info...
Facebook Twitter Google Plus Email