3. Bring items that may be washed away inside or to higher areas. This will help prevent "extra" items floating around in the flood waters.
4. Turn off breakers and unplug electrical devices to lessen the possibility of electrocution.
5. DO NOT walk through moving water. What may be a calm stream of water can turn deadly in a matter of seconds. You never know the hidden dangers under the water (use a stick to probe where you are going to be walking). BE watchful for snakes or other dangerous animals in flood waters.
6. Do not drive into flooded areas. OBSERVE all warning signs.
7. Stay tuned to your local weather or news station for up-to-date information.
8. Stay away from downed power lines.
9. Stay out of buildings damaged by flood waters.
10. When there is the danger of a flood or other inclement weather, make sure radios, flashlights, batteries, cell phones, or other battery powered devices are fully charged and can be protected from water if necessary. In the event of a disaster this may be the only way to communicate with authorities or loved ones during the cleanup process.